Livermore Falls has been the site of several mills over the years, going back to about 1786. Judge Arthur Livermore acquired the property and it became known as Livermore Falls. It shows on the 1816 Carrigain map as "Honorable A. Livermmore's Seat".
Homes and mills were later built on the east side of the river, south of the falls. There were a few homes, a tannery, a shingle mill, and possibly other buildings. The first Fish Hatchery in the state was built on this site in 1877. It was a joint venture with Massachusetts. (The full history of this hatchery is told in "The Forgotten Salmon of the Merrimack" by Lawrence Stolte and published by the Department of the Interior in 1981.) The original pulp mill may have been on site, as well.
There are significant remains of the buildings and the fish hatchery.
Circa 1920 photo of the pulp mill with a lot of detail.
Note the rail car to the right of the mill, the splash boards
on the dam, and the size of the complex.
When the pulp mill on the east side of the river burned, The Fiberwood Company built a pulp mill on the east bank. According to the Campton Historical Society, that mill also burned and in 1889 was replaced by a larger mill, slightly upriver. That mill was purchased by J.E. Henry in 1899.
At first, the Henry's sold the ground pulp product of this mill to paper manufacturers. It didn't take long for the Henry's to understand the potential profitability of making and selling paper themselves. Papermaking equipment was added to the Mill complex in Lincoln, and a new chapter was added to the J.E. Henry story. Papermaking was to prove to be a very profitable undertaking, especially since it allowed the use of trees that were too small to be profitably used for lumber.
This mill remained a ground pulp mill, sending to Lincoln the raw material for producing the finished paper products. It continued in this capacity during the Parker Young years. One day, shortly after the end of World War II, workers arrived to find the building locked, with a sign saying that it had been closed, and that they were to report to the company in Lincoln.
All that remains today are parts of the stone and brick foundation of the building. It was at this site that area businessmen had hoped to build a hydro-electric plant in the 1980s. The project never came to fruition.
Photos of Livermore Falls
The image at the top shows the unusual bridge and the pulp mill.